Wednesday, February 18, 2009

!!!!!!!! Half Way Point !!!!!!!!!!

I am happy to report that I have now completed 6 out of the 12 rounds of chemo needed. So, unless things change on me again, which I am really hoping they won't, I have successfully reached my half way point!!!! Boy, does it feel good. I have been blessed in that I haven't suffered very much at all with the side effects of chemo and I have had a very supportive family, group of friends, and even strangers routing for me and cheering me on. Once again I would like to thank you all soooooo much. You have no idea how much it means to me. :) I would also be ungrateful if I didn't mention my Heavenly Father. I know how much he is looking out for me. He has given me the wonderful blessing of being surrounded by worthy priesthood holders who are willing to assist in giving me blessings before my treatments. I have had two treatments were I went without a preisthood blessing and everything just seemed so much harder. I know they truely make a difference! Thanks to all of those who have participated in those blessings, I have no idea where I would be without them.
Everything went off without a hitch with this round of chemo, as usual, but I didn't get to see Dr. Bhalla, as I have in all my times past, which means I still have not heard the results of my most recent scans, :(, but I was able to take a look at the copies of my PET and CT scans I took months ago before I even started chemo. While, they were interesting to look at I really have no idea what it was I was seeing, all I could do was make an educated guess as to what was what.
This round I was joined by one of my best friends Morgan during my chemo session. I had warned her that it really wasn't all that exciting to go, but I don't think she fully understood until she got there. There are many things I really like about the new office I am going to like the fact that I see the same nurses everytime and they really get to know me as a patient and that the facility is much smaller so I get more individualized attention, but it being so small make things a tad bit more difficult too. The chemo room only has three chairs, as opposed to about the 30 or so the much larger Chandler office where I was going before had, so there just isn't a lot of room to bring people with you and even those ones you do bring can only sit and watch and talk to you. There isn't any room to play games or get on the computer like there is at the other office. Poor Morgan :(. Later, My Dad and Ethan joined up with Morgan and I, so there were four of us total plus another patient and her friend. It was like a party in there. Usually when I go its just me and my Dad. I have really gotten use to the expiernce of getting chemo and it doesn't really bother me at all anymore, its just a part of my life, but I will admit to still hating the smells involved. I have always hated the smell of medical offices, but things are even worse now. When I walk into any room that smells even remotely close to that of a hospital or doctor's office I have to keep myself from gagging. YUCK!
I should be wrapping up my Chemo treatments in early May. My younger sister Emma was in a car accident with my brother Ethan about a month or so ago and ended up needing to be in a neck brace all of the time due to a crack on her seventh vertebrae (I hope I am getting all the terms and facts right) and the docotors are telling her that it should be coming off about May. It will be interesting to see who beats who although both of us will still need help afterwords, me with radiation, and her with physical therapy. Its my hope that all of my chemo and radiation treatments will be done by the end of July. Fran and I are planning a trip to New York City and other various locations along the east coast icluding a Six Flags in New Jersey which is home to the tallest fastest roller coaster in the world, the King da Ka. I am so excited I can barely contain myself!!! It will be so nice to take the trip in celebration of the hardest part being behind me.
My brother Tanner reports to the MTC in just one week from today. He will be serving in the Omaha, Nebraska mission. I am so proud of him. I heard him speak in church on Sunday as sort of a farewell. Its amazing to see just how grown up he has become. I think I sometimes forget how wonderful and smart my little brother can be. I am going to miss him a lot, but am excited to know that by the time he returns (in about two years) both Emma and I will be doing so much better. As you can tell, things have been kind of rough for our family lately. I wish him the best of luck and want to remind him that I love him very much!!!!!
On another note, my six weeks are up! I was able to swap out my earings. My diamond ones look so beautiful!!!!!! I totally love them! Thanks again to all those who helped pitch in to buy them. You guys rock!!! I love you!!!
Anyway, I think that is all I have to say for now. If you have any questions or anything please don't hesitate to ask. I would love to hear from you and I don't want to be leaving anything important out of my reports! I have posted a couple more pics below. I'll ttyl! :)

Me hooked up to my chemo treatment

The Chandler office ( I still go there to get my shots the day after chemo)
Me outside the the Chandler office

Fran and Me



4 comments:

Kathy P said...

YAY for you!!! Keep it up Kenna!

Anonymous said...

All great news. I am excited that Tanner will be coming to Omaha, NE. Thats where I live. Please be sure and tell him to look me up if he has time. I would love to see him and offer him a home cooked meal once in awhile. My phine number is 402 614-5695. I finished 2nd in my class with my CNA exam. I love working in the hospital and hope to be able to work in Oncology eventually. I am so proud of you.
Love Barbara

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finally making it to your halfway point! I love you so much, and you are an example to me everyday that no matter what life brings you, there will always be people there to love and support you through all the hard times. I feel so lucky to have you as a roommate, and not only that, my best friend. And yes, I am more than excited for our trip to to the East Coast! It will be be sweet to finally fulfill our dream of riding the tallest, fastest roller coaster ever! Stay strong babe ;-)

Carl Seggie said...

ken , you are my fav i hope you know that. you are so positive about everything. let me know what i can do ... ps i will even let you come swim in my pool