Monday, December 1, 2008

The Diagnosis

Well, the results are in. Today, after two weeks of testing, I was formally diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. I was lucky. We caught it fairly early. As it stands right now I am at level 2a, meaning the cancer is only in my chest and hasn't yet spread to anything below my diaphragm. Hodgkins has a very high cure rate as well. So, as far as cancer goes, Hodgkins is a good one to get.
I start chemotherapy a week from today. If all goes as planned I will be doing eight two week cycles. Every 14 days I'll go in, recieve a treatment, and they will track my progress. After that comes radiation therapy to make sure we have really got it completely knocked out. Hopefully the whole process will only take about six months overall.
To be honest, the whole thing is a bit scary and defiently a challenge. There are a lot of unknows when it comes to cancer just because everyone reacts so diffrently. It can't be an exact science. I am sure, however that although it may not be fun that this is something I can handle. I have been blessed with wonderful family and friends who I know I can count on for strength and support. They have already prooven that to me and I know my Heavenly Father is looking out for me too. I intend to keep everyone updated on my progress through this blog and its your job to pester me if I don't. I'll ttyl. Peace!

6 comments:

Carl Seggie said...

ken,
so even though you may loose your hair, you will never looks as retarded as the rest of us, but its a nice try....

Stephen and Erin said...

Hey old friend-
you're in our thoughts and prayers!!

Anonymous said...

Hi McKenna,
I am a friend and co worker of your dads. I am also a 2 year breast cancer survivor. I will be here if you have any questions and although we all react differently a lot of the symptoms are the same for all cancer patients. I was so nervous to be bald, but honestly it was not so bad, I just wore a ball cap all the time. I think Bald is Beautiful You have a beautiful face so you will still look fabulous. Take Care of yourself, My prayers are with you and your lovely family. Barbara

Anonymous said...

I love it.....

Jessica said...

Hey Kenna!!! I just wanted to let you know you're in my prayers and if there is anything i can do for you just let me know.

<3Jessica

Elisabeth Xidis said...

Hey Kenna-
Your in my prayers. I hope everything goes well with the chemo. I love you, the Lord is watching out for you, angels will attend you.
Lizzy