Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Round One

Yesterday was a big day for me! I had my first round of Chemo. I have to admit going in I was scared. I didn't know what it was going to feel or be like or more importantly how I was going to react to the treatments and how well I would be able handle things if everything didn't go exactly right or if I had any bad reactions. Well, so far so good. I still feel pretty great and I haven't experienced anything to out of the ordinary except for being sooo tired that I ended up passing out at 9 last night (and those of you who know me really well know that that is incredibly early for me). The chemo treatment itself wasn't awful either. There is a ton of just sitting and waiting. My mom and I were at the doctors for almost 4 hours all together. Luckily, my sister Jerah was nice enough to let me barrow her Nintendo DS to give me something to do while hanging out in the doctor's offices and getting my treatments. I have been playing a ton of Mario Brothers to keep myself entertained, in fact its kind of become an addiction even though I really stink at it, but I am improving everyday and I am sure by the end of all this I will be an expert. I was really grateful for my port yesterday too. As it turns out it really is way easier to get an I.V. hooked up to a port then it is your hand! One strange thing I learned, however is how you can actually taste the medication as they are injecting it into you. It tastes just like salt! I wasn't expecting that at all, but I have now equiped myself with lifesavers so next time I go in I will be tasting the candy instead of the medication. Anyway, thats all I have for today. Ill ttyl! :)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey kenna! we're all rooting for you and if you ever need anyone to keep you company while you are getting your chemo just let me and katie know!!! We'll be more than happy to sit and keep you company. I'd just have to find a sitter for my rug rats.

-Jessica

Jerah said...

good! I hope its a sign that this chemo thing wont be too horrible for you!

Ed said...

Hey, its Erin Deller, I saw your blog on someones and am happy to have found a way to keep up with how you are doing.
If you get the HUGE Mario in the first level you can rack up a bunch of extra lives and you will get good fast...also, I hear Captain Crunch cereal is very helpful with the bad taste you may get in your mouth!
You are in our prayers...

Andi Xidis said...

Hey kenna i just want to tell you that nick and i are keeping you in our prayers and are rooting for you. Oh yeah i have a cool game you can play on nitendo ds if you want to barrow it.

Anonymous said...

Glad that all went well. I hope you are still feeling good.
I remember feeling so anxious before vhemo and it was never that bad.
Thinking of you and sending my best wishes.
Barbara