Saturday, December 6, 2008

Going Under the Knife

For those of you who aren't familiar with how Chemo works, every time you go in they pump your medication into you through an I.V. So, instead of being poked for an I.V. every time (as those of you who have experienced this know its really not very fun) they use something called a port. Its a small device, maybe the size of a quarter, implanted under the skin, in my case on my right side just below my collar bone, connected to a tube that runs directly into your vein. When I go in for a treatment my I.V. will be hooked up to the port instead of one of the veins in my hands or arms. It should be a lot better for me.
They put the port in yesterday. This was my second full on surgery in the process so far, so this time I knew what to expect. I don't know if that made things better or worse! The surgery rooms are always so bright and cold that it is really kind of scary and intimidating. The fact that they put you on a bunch of medications and eventually to sleep so you have no idea what is really going on doesn't help either. Anyway, as they were getting me ready for surgery and missed when putting in the I.V. in a couple of times (OUCH!), I was really grateful that I was getting a port. I am still sore, as to be expected, but overall the surgery went smoothly. The next step is seeing how it works during my first Chemo treatment.

1 comment:

Kathy P said...

Kenna -- you are amazing... hang in there, we are rooting for you over here at the Penrods!!! We love you!