Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tastes Like.......Metal?

Ok, so I was crossing my fingers and hoping, as anyone would, that I would be lucky enough to escape the side effects of chemo, but I couldn't. There is this orange juice at work that I love! Whenever I work in the mornings I have to have some. Well, I returned to work on wed., after having the last several weeks off, settled in, poured myself a nice big cup of OJ, and took a huge gulp only to find out that it was completely disgusting!!! I immediatly notified my boss that the orange juice tasted off and must be out of date. She didn't believe me and decided to try some for herself. To my suprise she reported that it tasted just fine. Uh oh! As it turned out it wasn't the orange juice, it was me. Everything tasted like metal. It was gross! The next day, things got worse. Not only did things taste off, but it really really hurt to eat or drink anything. Whatever I put into my mouth burned like acid. I called my chemo nurses and told them the situation and they were able to call in a perscription for me for this stuff called Mircle Mouthwash. After a few hours I was able to pick it up and use it. It too tasted awful, but it numbed my mouth and throat completely so I was able to eat and drink. :) Everyday, with the help of the mouthwash, I have gotten a little bit better and today I am back to normal. I am hoping that it won't happen again, but if it does I am already equiped!

No comments: